GERUND PHRASES




Gerund phrases adalah frase yang terdiri dari gerund ditambah dengan objek dan/atau modifier. Seperti halnya gerund, gerund phrase juga berperan sebagai nomina dalam kalimat.

Contoh gerund phrases:
- Swimming in the river is very dangerous.
- Cramming for tests is not a good study strategy.

- You might get in trouble for faking an illness to avoid work.
- I enjoy riding my bike in the evening.

Pada contoh di atas, swimming, cramming, faking, dan riding adalah gerund. Kemudian masing-masing gerund tersebut ditambah dengan in the river, for tests, an illness to avoid work, dan my bike in the evening. Sehingga gabungan dari gerund dan objeknya tersebut membentuk menjadi apa yang disebut sebagai gerund phrases.

Dalam kalimat gerund phrases dapat berfungsi sebagai subject, object dan object of preposition.

Contoh gerund phrases sebagai subject:
- Your singing is very beautiful.
- Practicing swimming is very useful for everybody.

- Listening to the radio needs seriousness.
- Eating breakfast on time is advisable.
- His coming every day makes me happy.
- Smoking too much is not good for health.

Contoh gerund phrases sebagai object:
- Thank you for your coming.
- I can enjoy camping in the mountain.

- I don’t like sitting alone.
- We have considered going to Yogyakarta.
- They began attending lecturer.
- I intend doing my homework tonight.
- I begin studying English seriously.

Contoh gerund phrases sebagai object of preposition:
- I dreamed about having much money.
- I am tired of studying alone.

- She is fond of eating pizza.
- I am interested in making model airplanes.
- We will not be successful without working seriously every time.


Bila ingin membuat kalimat negatif, cukup tambahkan not di depan gerund phrases, contoh:
- Not having a friend is lonely.
- I intend not doing my homework tonight.



Sebagai nomina, gerund phrases sering menggunakan adjective possessive di depannya, contoh:
- Thank you for your coming.
- Her singing is slow.

- My dancing is not good as yours.
- My feeling says that.

Your coming, her singing, my dancing, dan my feeling adalah gerund phrases yang menggunakan your, her, dan my sebagai adjective possessive untuk nomina dibelakangnya.

Komentar

Postingan Populer